Saturday, June 18, 2011

What do you do when you don't want to do a thing?


Are there times in your daily life when chores are relatively completed, and you find yourself not wanting to go for the usual distraction activities of days before? Such as playing with your computer, blogging perhaps,  meaning: reading and/or writing?

And the other hobbies, which might be too many to list, also do not attract you?

Very once in a while, this happens to me. I seem to get stuck in "neutral"; motor running and getting too hot, but I seem not to be able to go on "drive".

Nothing seems interesting.

And, as the saying goes: "It has nothing to do with you... It's me!"

I remember vividly that, when I was a kid, and found myself bored, sitting and staring, my mom would immediately say:

- At least go read a book!

There was this feeling that one could not, should not, do nothing. And it was not related to the idea of "an idle mind being the devil's workshop".

Heck, no!

It was just the notion that a healthy person should take advantage of the moment. All the time!

Well, mom... Sorry about that but, today, I think I am just going to STARE!

7 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

ha ha. chuckling at you just mind-wandering today...

well, an active mind and body could use a shut-down day once in a while, i think!

Debbie said...

hahaha....i have such a difficult time doing nothing.

you just blogged a wonderful entry, so your not really doing nothing!!!!

cathy@home said...

when I dont want to do anything I usually sit and day dream which is just lovely

Joanna said...

I can't help but get a huge guilt thing going if I am not doing anything useful, so usually shuffle papers a lot when I get stuck in a 'neutral funk'. Moving papers from one side of the table to another looks like you're doing something but the brain is not at all engaged and so I can drift off into la-la land where the sun is always shining and bunnies dance in the dew. It's lovely there.

In fact, I think I'll go and shuffle some papers now.......

xx

Bonnie K said...

A nap is always good. Especially if a hammock is involved:)

Leontien said...

Haha good for you!

I think my mom would have wished for me to sit still every now and then! ;-)

Thanks
Leontien

Anonymous said...

I can relate, Miriam. Sometimes, I just don't feel like doing anything. But that is a scary thought in itself. I usually try to snap out of it. :)