Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Parrot's Pill

I took the parrot's pill today.

- What?

I'll tell you.

When we were kids and had one of those moments when we could not, simply could not stop talking, the saying at home was:

- Did you take one of the parrot's pills?

Needless to explain it was because parrots talk too much. And they can be inconvenient. They can be noisy. And annoying.

My grandmother - may God keep her there, wherever she is - used to have one.

And her parrot was a pain in the neck sometimes. That's why I know that parrots can talk too much. He was kept right outside her kitchen door, in a very neat spot, where he could walk around and keep an eyeball in everything that was happening in the kitchen, since the door was always wide open,  as well as on the gate that lead to the backyard.

And the son of a gun was always screaming at us, my brother and I, warning grandma that we were on the way to the yard, up to some mischief.

Anyway, I am loosing track of what I was going to say.

I said that I had taken the parrot's pill.

Because I am talkative today. I have a lot to tell.

Did you already notice?  You are smart.

Mother in law's water heater went "kaputz". The "Scheisse!"

She phoned last night. And there we went this morning, for Gordon to check on it and take care of the business.

Her water heater sits in her garage. Behind a truck load of stuff.

I like the word STUFF. It can mean good things, and bad things. It can also mean the junk that we found in front of her water heater! Junk stuff that should be thrown away, without a tear or a sigh.

But, you don't go to someone else's house and dare suggest:

- Why don't you just clean this area and throw all this crap in the trash?

Specially if you would be talking to your mother in law. Oh, no! You don't mess with her stuff. 

Anyway, while Gordon and Mama were discussing what to do, I went to her back yard to take some pictures.

I remembered Sharon, from Life with Jack and Jill.

Last Friday, she posted a picture of a Trumpet Vine and I made a comment that my mother in law has one, and that she gets pissed that hers are inundated with ants.  So, I took a picture for Sharon to see.

Sharon, take a look, my friend.


Can you see the freaking ants all over the small buds? Oh, they sting too, the darn things. Some of the other bunches of flowers had double the amount of ants. It is kind of yuk, isn't it?

And I walked all around, taking pictures. Mama has tons of flowers and nice little things (stuff) around her gardens. I had a ball.



I loved the velvety texture of this beauty. And the colour!



Someone is living in this old house. I can see part of the "furniture", although I could not see it / he / she / them.  Pity.



I thought this picture came out good, with the water droplets and all.  Uuu...hu... the fancy camera gets it.





Since the birds were all afraid of me, and did not want to pose for any pictures, I got her two Dodo Birds, which she has on the sides of the steps to the main door.

I think they are funny and cute. Seventeen bucks each, she told me!! And I almost fell on my butt!

On the way home, I saw something that made me think of Nancy, from A Rural Journal

I bet you will agree with me.




So, was I right?

Shut up, Miriam! Enough for now.

OK. Bye!

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

yup, that's a mighty nice barn, and i love trumpet vines - you can keep the ants tho. i'm liking you liking your camera. :)

LOVED your comment on your grandmother (may the lord keep her wherever she is...) ha!

Sharon said...

Yep, for sure the vines all have to go! They are beautiful though! Your MIL has some nice flowers and I like her goofy little birds maybe would have paid the $17 for one too!

Arkansas Patti said...

Thanks for stopping by TNS and commenting. Sorry you were victim of the crabby customers. I had a lucky day when all the world smiled.
I have one of those ant farm trumpet vine also. Pretty but---
Trying to figure out the name of your blog but had to give up.

Joanna said...

You keep squawking I'll keep reading, chatty polly parrot!

The photos are great with your fancy camera, I'm lovin' the one with the water droplets.

xxx

Debbie said...

sure is a lot going on here today!!

awesome photo's, you sure are getting good with that camera!!!

Debbie said...

ooooohhhhh & nancy is going to love that barn, why don't you link it up?!?!

Leontien said...

hahaha yep your right about the barn thing (lovely barn) by the way. And i kinda "get" your post! But i never heard the saying about the parrot pills... it makes sense though!

Thanks!
Leontien

Anonymous said...

Well, somebody has to be the chatty one. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Love the barn photo. Making me feel guilty, Miriam. I haven't taken any barn photos for so long! I need to. Hope you are having a great day!

Anonymous said...

Miriam, many a days CH believes I have taken the Parrot's pill. I.am.sure. He never says a word, but I do occasionally catch him with a glazed exasperated look which I am not supposed to see. But who really is addicted to the Parrot's Pill in this family is CH's Mom! I have never heard about the Parrot's Pill, and I thank you for the introduction of that phrase/word into my vocabulary! You keep right on talking, I am listening!!

Tracey said...

I love those proper American barns....I want one! xxxxxxxxx

bon bon said...

that's a new expression to me! fun to hear how phrases change from one country to another.

the gladiola with the raindrops is my favorite shot! :o)