Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Sense of smell
Smells have a very important place in my life. Of all my senses, the smell seems to be the one that takes me away from reality and, sometimes, leads me to distant places. And times.
Funny enough, I can remember smells better than faces, names, dates and places. The smell comes first. It may bring a time and a location that I had long forgotten. It may bring a face whose name I cannot recall. It can make me extremely happy, or extremely emotional, sad.
Sounds are also important, but nothing close to smells. Certain songs will undoubtedly make me cry. Definitely.
But smells will cause peculiar reactions inside me. I can bring the memory of a smell to my nostrils at any time I want, but the varied memories that it will bring to me are the ones I cannot control. I just relax and enjoy them, or, sometimes, shake them off of me.
I remember the smell of my mom's hair. The smell of her hands. Once, a long, long time ago, I kissed her hand and told her that it smelled of kitchen, garlic, soap and hand lotion. She did not like it. She said she had washed them and used the lotion, therefore they should not be "stinking". And I remember telling her that they never stunk to me.
I remember the smell of my father's shirt, as he arrived from work and I hugged him. A mix of his cologne, cigarettes, and the iron dust from the mill where he worked. And of him.
I remember the smell of my brother's pillow. I hated it. Just because it was his. I had to hate it. One is not supposed to like a brother's pillow smell. Yuk! Poor thing. I was mean.
When the first rain of summer falls, and wets the dirt, the dust and the vegetation, it has a particular smell. I love it! Very young puppy dogs that have not yet weened have a smelly breath that I always loved.
I can smell if there are roaches in a room, or cabinet. I can! I know the smell of roaches. It reeks! Hubby says I am crazy. But I give you my word that I can tell if you have roaches in your house. Maybe I should find a job as "The Roach Detector", you think?
If an electric wire gets "hot", I can smell it faster than Hubby.
My grandparents (dad's side) house had an amazing smell. There was a cabinet in their dining room, where my grandmother kept chocolate bars. It smelled wonderful. It still does in my memory. I can close my eyes and sneak in there to steal a candy bar. Dark chocolate, with marzipan inside.
Mom's perfume was called "Fleur de Rocaille" and if I bring it to my mind, I want to cry. So, I will not do it!
The smell of wood in a lumber yard is heavenly to me! Leather stuff such as saddles and boots, hemp rope and fabric smell of childhood and sunny days.
I remember the smell of the bathroom in my aunt's house. She had three boys and a cabinet inside the bathroom, where the three little pigs kept their shoes... oh, how awful it was! And I was about six or seven years old, therefore, this was over fifty years ago.
Dang! This is weird. It HAS to be weird!
As we get older, we tend to reminisce a lot. The only thing I pray for, as my body goes down the drain, is that I do not loose my sense of smell. I may be deaf as a door, blind as a mole, mute as giraffe but, please, don't take away my bloodhound sense of smell!
Love ya!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Wow. Your nose knows a lot of memories. You have wonderful recall. I love puppy breath too! (and baby puppy feet with little pink paw pads, but that's a visual...)
My sinuses are not as good as they should be so I think I miss out on a lot of smells these days. My eyes are getting worse too. Hopefully I can hang on to a few brain cells yet as I age.
Thanks for the walk thru your memories...
I cannot remember a smell and smell it, but I have been places and smelled it and it brought memories of other places, long ago.
I do like the smell of a puppy's breath too, and the field after a rain and line dried sheets in the spring.
I remember everything from smell also! Some smells still terrify me...like one particular class room at school. it had this awful smell! One of the nicest is the smell of a baby....the top end, not the bottom end! xxx
You have excellent recall when it comes to smells, don't you?! Smell would not be my most important sense to keep (I wouldn't miss quite a few stinks!) - mine would probably be sight.
I remember vividly the smell of the car interior from when I was a child - my parents smoked in the car and as a result I was regularly car sick. I can feel sick just looking at a passing car with someone smoking in it, especially if there are kids in the back.
I love the smell of my old dog and cat - I know they're stinky but they smell wonderful to me.
xx
I think my favorite smell is baby smell. I can smell a newborn baby and it brings back all kinds of memories. :)
Oh, I think I am envious - I have no sense of smell, because of chronic sinus "issues". So my sweetie has to be my smell interpreter - and taste, too, since without smell things don't really taste. I'm always asking her: what does this smell like? What does this taste like? But it's really hard to describe tastes and smells with words - so I really like how you did it with memories, instead!
The Police should hire you ! I know exactly what you mean - certian smells take me way back in time like chopping up cucumber, onion & tomato
(olive oil & lemon juice on top) for a salad takes me to working abroad in my twenties & happy times. Also the smell of cheap washing up liquid takes me to the same place !
Puppies smell adorable
What a beautiful post. I can remember some smells and I will think of you and this post in the future as I think of things, people, places of long ago. For now: Horses, leather, the ocean, fresh cut grass are smells that make memories come to my mind.--Inger
you are very qualified to become a rare perfumer - only the ones who can smell and describe the way you do can make the most heavenly scents in the world...
Post a Comment