I was, at that time, working at the "WallyWorld" as an Overnight Stocker, starting at 10pm, and leaving at 7am, as I mentioned here.
At home, Hubby started on a huge house remodeling enterprise, which included a two car garage, a big veranda in front of the house, and a private deck out of our bedroom.
It does not stop here.There is more. Expansion of our bedroom, with the inclusion of a walk-in closet, and a complete rework of both bathrooms.
The master bedroom bath was what is called (and I did not understand it at first) a "half-bath", because it did not have a shower! What? Hubby installed one. Now it has been promoted to a "whole bath"!
And the master bath was too small. Hubby almost doubled its size, and installed a Jacuzzi tub in it. That's where I forget who I am, under the bubbles.
Down at the basement, a hobby room was built for Hubby, and a sewing room for the mama here. Bedsides that, a family room to where we transferred the TV that was in the living room.
There is still more. Our old laundry room was an eyesore from miles away! Hubby remodeled it, and built cabinets for the pantry, transforming it into a sweet spot.
The kitchen floor was nothing else but nasty! Gone it is. Hubby installed new tiles. The same for the back splash, which, originally was wall paper (?). Now, we have sweet blue tiles.
At last, we had a new carpet installed in the whole house. This was done in April 2009.
For a first impression of the outside, I have scanned two old pictures put together, to post here. It looks crooked, but it will give you an idea of what I am talking about.
Note: If you click on any of the pictures, you will see it larger.

This was how our house looked, when I arrived in the US, and I loved it from the first sight. A gravel driveway, an open carport. At the time, Hubby had a boat, which he sold years ago.
Notice the right hand side of the house, how the blue wall from the top floor is straight down with the wall of the basement. This will show you, on the next picture, how much of the top was enlarged, after the remodelling.
Here it is:
See the yellow wall up on the right hand side, how it goes out a long way from the same wall in yellow at the bottom of the veranda? That's what was necessary, in order to enlarge the bathrooms and the bedroom.
We are not rich, and I am happy to think that my job helped with part of the money that we needed to have it all done. I cannot accept the idea of not participating in the production of what is important to us.
I would come home to a busy Hubby. For a few hours, I was able to help him, as much as I could. Then, I had to go to bed and be ready for another night at work. The only times that I did not go to bed (at all) was when he was working on the roof, or anywhere up a ladder! No way would I leave him alone. I am awfully scared of height, and could not rest until he was done and down on EARTH, flat land, solid ground!
On my days off, I could help all the time.
I learned a lot with him, and even have my own cordless power drill... How about that?
I was the one being told:
- Hold it up there!
- Lift a little more!
- Stop moving. Stop laughing, girl!
to which, sometimes, I would reply "My arms are cramping!!!"... if you know what I mean.
When two people are doing this kind of work together, one has to be the boss and the other the assistant. I was the "go-fer, and do-fer", and together, we carried loads and loads of material. From the store to the trailer, from the trailer to the storage area, from there to where it was going to be used. It was fun.
It took us a long time, but now we can enjoy the sweet house that we have. All "purdied up".
As for the laundry room, there are some pictures.
The ugly before:
And the now:
The one thing that Hubby hates doing and I LOVE is painting. So, I can proudly say that I painted whatever was painted in the house.
And Hubby does not know that I am having more plans on the paint area for sometime this year. Shhhh... Don't tell him, please!
.

9 comments:
The joys of being the go-fer. I have been a go-fer nearly my whole adult life. I was always the painter too, until my health got so bad. DH painted "My Womb" and put the flooring in (mostly) alone, is the first that he had to do by himself, I think he's rather proud! I am too!
You have a lovely house! and I envy you the laundry room! Very nice!
I love what you've done with your home! When we bought our house I tried really hard to look past what I was seeing and focus on its potential--I wish the people buying our last house would have done that too instead of just wanting more money for something! ;-))
Amazingly bloody fantastic! I LOVE it!!! (except the cats!)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wow, have you ever done a lot! I am so impressed. I'm the gofer in our family, too - I don't have as much experience or skill as my sweetheart, so it's nice to know I can make a contribution anyway!
Great to see pics of you and your hubby! I'm the gopher/do-fer/doofuss ;) in this two-man band. I agree, one has to be the boss and the other, an assistant. I think being the assistant is more difficult as it requires a boatload of patience. :) Great job on the laundry room. Mine is a disaster as it also serves as a storage area. *Sigh*
Such sweet kitties here! Good for you on your renovations! Hard work but very rewarding. :)
Wow ! I Love what you have done
I sure don't remember exactly how I got here but I sure love what you have done. It was nice to see the before and after pics. Looks great.
I love the transformation.....Great Job! You gave me an Idea for my laundry room...I have been wanting a pantry and my laundry room is big enough to build one in it. Thanks!
I love to paint too....my hubby does not!
Post a Comment