This lovely girl has been visiting us for a while now. This picture was taken from the back deck and she was around a hundred yards away, on the pasture.
(Gee, we need to mow! Urgent!)
Yesterday afternoon, we saw five of them crossing the pasture. We usually see them early in the morning, and the sight of that line of deer around two or three o'clock in the afternoon was a surprise. A very pleasant one!
We have started picking blackberries. There are two gallons in the freezer already. Blackberry jam, syrup, cobbler for winter. Yummy
I could not resist. This lovely butterfly came just as I was leaving. It had to take a picture of it!
The pears are looking better this year. The tree is quite young but this year, it decided to produce. It is full of fruits.
Our crazy green beans are growing. Soon we will pick, and can them.
The goofy thing is so long that I could prepare a salad for two with just a couple of them ..;)
You think?
The winter squashes are looking good too. I feel like a little girl searching for Easter eggs, when it is time to check the squash plants. You lift those huge leaves and... SURPRISE... there they are, the big babies!
We also have the acorn squash which is the one I like best. And cucumbers, and zucchinis.
The tomatoes were giving us a hard time, because of that "rust" type pest they sometimes have. Gordon dusted them with "Sulfur" powder and they are doing much better now!
Finally, I love the curves of the dill stems. If you click on the picture you will see what I am talking about. I do think they provide and interesting look to the picture.
We need a nap now. We've been up since four thirty - the only time it is pleasant to be outside, having a cup of coffee in the varandah, without melting away with the heat.
Love ya!
11 comments:
oh everything looks so lush and healthy!!! we need some rain for it to show a bit of green again here!!!
Our blackberries have all dried up. I must tell you, I have garden envy! Watch out for the horn worms!!! Love those l-o-n-g beans!
your butterfly is a black swallow tail, you captured it beautifully. isn't it magical to see them in the garden??
everything looks awesome, you have a wonderful garden filled with lot's of good stuff!!!
send me some berries, they are making my mouth water for berry cobbler!!!
I got tickled at your hunting for squash. I do the same thing with my cantaloupe. Those rascles sure can hide.
Your garden is looking great.
You are going to have a very well stocked cupboard I think. So many yummy things you are growing.
Isn't nature a wonderful thing?
Sweet dreams!
xo Catherine
lovely tour! so nice of the butterfly to appear during your shoot. he's gorgeous.
BRILLIANT photographs - the butterfly is superb!
It all looks lovely and green and you're having some wonderful home grown successes.
Love the deer (I hope though that they don't get too close and trample/eat all your hard work).
xx
I know what you mean... I parted the large leaves & found three courgettes ( zuccini to you ! ) Looking good Miriam & the dear is delightful.
What a sweet visitor! So pretty.
And your garden looks fabulous. I have one pepper ready to pick. Hah!
Those have got to be the strangest looking beans! What is the variety?
Love that Dill photo! You are correct.....love the curved stems.
Blackberries are my all-time favs! Ours are just finished blooming....by ours I mean the wild ones in parks etc. Can't wait for them. I will always remember a bike trip along the Oregon coast in late July and August and I would eat handfuls of them all along the route!
Love your blog, so earthy and fun! I always wanted to live on a ranch or a farm. Now I can thru you!
I'll be back!
Susan Oakes
Post a Comment