When I came to this country, I had a totally wrong impression of the American desert lands. I had seen some - SOME - pictures of here and there, and having never been around it in person, these scenes gave me the creeps.
I had this impression that the air would be suffocating hot, the breezes (if any) would carry loads of dust and sand, and that the views would always be of pure desolation!
How wrong I was!! And how amazing it was to "meet" the desert in person!
This happened last year, when we went to New Mexico, to visit Gordon's sister and her husband. My new sister and brother!
I fell in love with it. And, for the first time in my life, I saw how rich and precious the desert can be. I felt the clean breezes that blew without sand or nasty dust; I felt the warmth that did not feel suffocating at all!
... well, our visit was not during Summer... I wonder how it would feel over there, and around the other desert areas of the country by now.
No matter what, I must still say that I loved it!
And I found a blog that does wonders to my heart and eyes! It is called The Adventure of Old Alice.
If you want to see absolutely FANTASTIC pictures of the desert, this time in Utah, please, go take a look at this blog. Susan is an adorable person, and the pictures that she posts are breath taking!! Serious! If you do not believe me, check it for yourselves!! Go, please, go there and take a look!!
Now, I need to go back to my Hoover! Oh, boy!
The pet hair feast has already begun!!
On the back deck table, keeping us company at five o'clock in the morning.
Love ya!
7 comments:
I was walking in the Negev desert in Israel years ago - stunning. I worked on a farm there & they grew watermelons in the desert yes, watermelons !!!
I have heard from T
what a cute little toad!
i'll have to check out that blog (like i need another one to follow! ugh!)
I would absolutely love to live in New Mexico. It truly is The Land of Enchantment! Beautiful!
to texwis girl....don't look, it's amazing!!
nice story, love the toad!!!!
love your froggy friend picture!
And yes I agree ; i love the dryness because you can actually move around in the morning without pain!!!
I am pretty sure I have the same misconceptions. I need my view changed so I will go visit your friend. Thanks.
I'm skeptical about the desert. Maybe someday I'll give one a look see. I love the frog. We used to have tons of tree frogs around here and then the neigbor "fixed" our muddy road and filled it with rock. No more frogs. I soooo miss them. Progress isn't all it is cracked up to be.
Post a Comment