Saturday, March 5, 2011

We will meet again!


Night before last, at about ten thirty, we received a phone call from my brother in Brazil.

My mom has passed away.

It is very hard for me to find the words to talk about it.

The only thing I can do right now is talk to her, through this post.

"Mamãe,

I could  not be there for you, my treasure. I could not be there to hold your hand,  to give you my love. To tell you things will be alright. To look into your eyes and let you know that you were, and always will be the best mother in the world. The first present God gave to me.

The best girl friend I ever had.

I could not be there to stroke your hair, and soothe your heart. To comfort you, and tell you not to be afraid.

To tell you that I would be brave, mom - even if it is, in fact, a little lie.

I could not be there to say goodbye. To plan with you, for when we meet again. To tell you that we will meet again.

Once I thought that, when your time came, I was going to die also. I thought my chest would bust in a million pieces and I would cease to exist. I could see myself like a body left in the desert, bones that get dried out and crumble to total oblivion.

Right now, I am numb. It is a strange feeling, mom. I have cried so much that, this morning, I woke up numb. Weird, mom. I did not know it was going to be like this.

We have been far away for such a long time that I can even pretend you are still there. I can see your beautiful eyes, and smile. I can smell your perfume, I can touch your hand. I still hear your voice, mom.

I hear your laughter.

I did not die, mom. I am still here. And I can only pray to God that you were not afraid and or in pain.

I can only pray.

Let those who have already left us be there to greet you, and welcome you, hug and comfort you upon your arrival.

Let there be family, and friends, and laughter to surprise you and fill your heart with joy.

Let there be sunny beaches, and clear sands, for your tiny feet to enjoy, together with dad.

Let there be puppies, and flowers, and peace, and silence, and stars, and, most of all, the assurance that you were the best!

You did it all, and did it with a heart full of love. You were the best, Violeta!

You were the best!




I will love you FOREVER!
Miriam

PS - Hey, mom... as soon as you see dad, please, give him my deepest love."

11 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, such a post - what could I say? My mum died in October. Thank you so much for letting us know your news and for expressing yourself so beautifully here. Like you, I know that we will all meet again, and I believe that you mother already knows these loving thoughts of yours. Blessings to all of you for the next days, weeks and months.

Sharon said...

Oh, Miriam, I am so sorry for your loss, I know how lost and lonely you feel. Your dear Mother knows all that you have written and you have spoken and she has seen your tears. Be comforted in the fact that you will see her again. Loving arms surround you, do not be so unhappy, celebrate her life as it was, as you remember it.

{{{HUGS}}}

TexWisGirl said...

Wow. So beautiful and touching and full of love... I know you had said in a previous post at how guilty you felt about leaving your mom so many years ago. She was with you all these years and she's with you still. God hold you in your grief. I am so sorry for your loss...

Joanna said...

Oh Miriam, what a beautiful loving tribute to your dear Mom, who I am so sad to hear has passed away. There are no more words that I can think of to help you through this time, just trust that you will see her again.

With love to you and your family,

Jo
xx

Tracey said...

I am so, so sorry. My condolences & love to you. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BadPenny said...

Oh Miriam I am so sad to read this. A friend of mine lost her mother too last week but she said that her mum would be reunited with her teenage granddaughter who died four years ago. They adored each other. It gave my friend comfort to think of her mother & beloved daughter reunited and together again.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss, Miriam. Hugs, friend.

Bobbie said...

Mariam, Just a note to let you know that you are loved. (((HUG))) You're mother was a wonderful lady who raised a beautiful, loving daughter. Touching post. I'm praying for you.

Linda said...

So sorry to hear this...God bless and comfort you during this time. I will be thinking of you and sending up prayers.

Linda

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending you a big hug!
xo Catherine

bon bon said...

hello miriam. i'm a friend of texwisgirl's and saw you won her birdy illustration, so popped over. then i saw this post and had to comment. i am so sorry...not just for your loss, but for you not being able to be with her on her final days.

you are blessed to have had a mother who was also your friend, and i hope her memory continues to bring joy into your life.