Monday, March 28, 2011

Surprise!!


My mom loved shrimp. She thought it was the best thing in the world, after dad, us and her puppies! I don't really know in which order.

Since we lived in a State that was not on the coast, shrimp was expensive and sometimes even hard to find.

One Christmas, dad and I decided to give her a kilo (two and a half pounds) of the largest shrimp we could find in the market. It cost a chunk of money but we thought it would make her happy. So, we bought it. And hid it in the back of the refrigerator's freezer. We did not have a real Freezer at the time, only the little one part of the refrigerator.

We knew she did not have much to mess in there so, she would not find it.

But here was our dilemma: how could we put her present under the tree, without having it spoiling and stinking the whole house? You see, Christmas time in my country is summer time!!

We took one shrimp from the package and wrapped it. And wrapped it a whole lot! And we hung it on the tree. And we made sure it was the very first present she opened.

The picture above is of my mother, when she figured out what was that strange looking present that we gave to her. There was a note inside the paper that said:

There is a whole kilo of it in the freezer!

***

Hubby and I just finished re-grouting some spots on the kitchen floor. We had done a good job, when we installed the tiles but it seems not that good. The grout started breaking off at some spots and it was driving both of us crazy.

So, yesterday, Hubby removed the bad parts, re-filled the grooves with new grout and we both spent quite a while cleaning the freaking mess. If there is one thing I did not enjoy throughout the remodel of the house, it was this crap! I wish there was another way of installing tiles without that nasty mud!

This morning, we sealed the grout, and just a while ago, I finished re-sealing the whole thing: grout, tiles and all. It needed it.

And I want to show it to you.

But, since the living room is a mess with all the kitchen furniture, I am taking the opportunity to take one single picture and also show you the "Amarilys" plant that we have this year.



What is wrong with this thing?   33/34 inches tall and still going. Ugly creepy thing!

The floor looks good, though, doesn't it?

Love ya!



11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Oh, you had me laughing all over the place with this one.

First, wrapping up the shrimp for your mother? Priceless!

Second, I totally understand the mess of the grout and all. We had a professional tile a portion of our bathroom after we removed a huge tub. WOW it made such a mess all over the place!!! And the dust!

Third, you have a very tall but stately amarellis plant! ha ha!! Loved it all regal on that floor all by itself! :)

Sharon said...

Didn't see the picture of your Mom. Neat gift though! I probably would have stuck a note in a box with a couple of rocks, myself. :-)

That plant - is that normal? Yes it is pretty ugly, but given time, it will probably be very beautiful!

Your kitchen floor is fabulous, I love it! I wanted tile in the kitchen, but it wasn't workable. ($)

Joanna said...

Lovely happy photo of your Mom, I hope she enjoyed all those shrimps!

Super kitchen floor.

Alien plant.

Byeeeeee!
x

bon bon said...

that was quite a creative gift wrapping idea! i'd be happy with a gift of shrimp myself. wisconsin doesn't have an abundant of affordable shellfish either.

my mom has dozens of amaryllis (amarylli?) growing in a pot together. i think they appear a bit less alien-like in a group setting. ;o)

and the floor looks great!

Anonymous said...

I hope the shrimp ornament hadn't been hanging there too long! I assume you didn't have a cat at the time.

The tile looks great -- and once that amaryllis blooms, you'll be apologizing for calling it creepy. :)

Linda said...

Very creative gift giving for mom! The tile job looks very nice...we are going to do this soon.

Tracey said...

The photo of your Mum is lovely...The floor looks great but that plant is an ugly bugger! xxxxxx

Miriam said...

That reminds me of the story I heard once of the woman whose husband left her for another woman and then insisted they sell the house they had bought together. The woman didn't want to sell it but couldn't afford to buy him out at the appraised value, so before they put it on the market she put a shrimp inside one of the curtain rods. It quickly began to reek, nobody could find the source of the odour, and the smell turned off every prospective buyer. Finally the husband agreed to be bought out at a much reduced price, and the woman lived happily ever after. Even happier than you might think, because when her ex and his new wife took their half of the furnishings, they insisted on taking the curtain rods...

Oh my goodness, I am long winded tonight... Love the story about your mom! Love the tile floor!

Rural Rambler said...

Good Morning Miriam! Ima goin to come back and take time to read! CH is yelling at me to come help put the lawn tractor on the trailer and go with him to take him, Cubby, the lawn tractor for his spring check up. Yeah we named our lawn tractor! I will be back!

Bobbie said...

Your mom is absolutely beautiful! I can tell by her kind face that she was beautiful not only on the outside but on the inside as well. Oh what fun that must have been with the shrimp surprise!! I love to see families who know how to enjoy life and have a good time and show love.

Your floor is wonderful. I love it. All that hard work payed off!! Have a great night, Mariam... and thanks for sharing this good stuff!

Rural Rambler said...

Great picture of your Mom! Funny story too and what a truly different kind of Christmas present! You can tell she got a kick out of it.

We had to redo the grout in our kitchen and laundry room over a year ago. I swear I am still finding the dust in the kitchen drawers and I hoovered and cleaned them! Your floor looks awesome!