Saturday, December 11, 2010

I am NOT a Mail Order Bride


The world has changed. A lot. And it has been sometime already. Some people do not understand it.

My husband and I met through the Internet. I lived waaaay down south, where I was born and raised. He lived here, north central Arkansas, after leaving Colorado, where he was born. And we met.

One fine day, he was playing with his computer and I was playing with mine. My mama lived with me, or I lived with her. I guess it all depends on who was paying most of the bills at the house, and since I was the one making the money and writing the cheques, she was living with me.

But, as I was saying, I was on the computer. And met this guy. We started corresponding. He seemed interesting and I thought that, if something went wrong, I would just delete his address and change mine, right? We were too far away for me to be afraid of anything. Besides that, I always had a big gun and was not afraid of using it, in case a uninvited, demented American boy showed up at my door.

We exchanged emails, tons of them, at first. Then, we talked on the phone, which was an experience that almost changed my status from having my mom living with me, to me living with her. Dang, it was expensive! We switched to "I seek you" kind of thing, where we could talk through the computer. That was better.

And so, we fell in love. We did! And he travelled to my country so we could actually meet. And so, I came back with him and we got married. I left my own house, a great job of over fourteen years, family and friends. I left it all behind, including the gun. My mom took care of the house, and my brother came to live with her. She is fine. 

We have been married now for twelve years and it could have not been better. He is much more than I have ever expected and we are also each other's best friend!

After a while, after I arrived here, I decided to find a job. We live close to a very small town, and the jobs that are available are, to say the least, horrible! But, the people are neat, I must say. Most of them...

In one of these jobs, I met a lady from Australia. We were talking and she started asking questions, such as "How come you ended up living here?" I told her about us, and how we met, the woman stared at me and said: "Oh!.... Oh!...No!... You are a MAIL ORDER BRIDE!!!"

I understood that, in our "neck of the woods", prejudice and ignorance is also abundant! She used to strut her stuff because she was Australian and this was what she said to me, right?

No, lady. I am not a mail order bride. The world is quite small anymore and people from distant places can meet, fall in love and marry. Or not. There are plenty of great friendships that were born on the net, amongst people that never met in person, and probably never will.

After a while, reading someone's blog, for instance, one starts caring for the person, for the families that live so far and have such different life styles. One thinks of them and wishes them good stuff.

Meet my family:


These are, from left to right: Hugo Boy, Candy Sue and Pickles Elaine, our three cats looking out the back deck door. There must have been something very, very interesting out there. 

This one is Cindy Lee. She is shy, and fluffy as as teddy bear. Her mother was a Labrador, and we think her dad was, perhaps, a truck driver.

And the last member of our family is Misty Mae. She is an authentic "Heinz 57" puppy (mom was a "bar fly" and dad was a private detective), and she is the sweetest girl in the house.


3 comments:

Tracey said...

HEY HEY!!!! At last I now 'know' you! Lovely story, lovely family (except the cats!!!) I knew I'd like you after your very first comment on my blog. You have to put THAT photo on here! xxxxxx

Sharon said...

Hello Miriam!

I think the way you met your DH is romantic, I'm sure you knew a lot more about him, before you actually met, than most people do.

Love the "family" of pretty cats and lovable dogs! I have 5 children, but seldom see them, my kids are Jack and Jill (dogs) and DC the old cat.

Glad you started your own blog, it's loads of fun and great to meet new people! Have a blast!

Bobbie said...

Ha! What do you know.... I met my hubby online it will be 10 years next month. We've been married eight of those years. He was 550 miles away and moved here. This was a wonderful post, I really enjoyed reading and so glad to have found your blog.