Monday, October 3, 2011

It was more or less like that



I was scared! Just before leaving the house, I discreetly (so Gordon would not see it) walked around the whole place, capturing every image in my memory, and saying a little prayer - to come back!

Then, as I've heard certain animals do as they are headed to the slaughterhouse, I just lost all my strength, all my desire to flee. And we left to the Hospital.

Now, I am kind of embarrassed of having had those feelings. And I must say that I have never been treated so well in my whole life by such a great number of people! They were amazing! From the first person at the front desk to the last volunteer that pushed my wheelchair towards the front door on my way out, they were the most caring and gentler group of people I have ever met.

The surgery went fine.

At a certain moment I was being led to the surgery room - I remember seeing a door in front of me - the next, I was ... where was I?

It felt like they just turned off a switch and "puff" - I was no more.

Until these two nurses started calling my name, while rubbing my arms.

I had an oxygen mask on, my throat was as dry as the bottom of our pond this Summer, and I was so groggy I could not keep my eyes open.

- Is iiiit oone? (Is it done?)

- Yes! You are ready. Everything went great! Take deep breaths. Slow.

- Uuu I ave a A-eh-Ehr? (Do I have a catheter?)

- No. No need for one. You are just fine
.
- Ay I av a ittle it o waer, weese? (May I have a little bit of water, please?)

- Not yet, hun. In a while I will give you some ice. You need to wake up first.

- Uuu I sill ave ay bwayewound own ehre? (Do I still have my "playground" down there?)

- Yess... (laughter)... You still have your "playground" in one piece!!... (laughter)

And I heard someone ask:

- What did she say?

- She asked if she still has a playground down there. (Many different sounds of laughter!!!)

Oh, well...

These nurses were not only the best caring people I have ever met, but they were  also the best in understanding an old anesthetized foreigner garbled speech.

I need to take it easy until October 11, when the doctor is going to remove the stitches. And, best of all, the doctor told Gordon that, for what she could tell, it did NOT look like cancer. We will have to wait for the lab results, though.

Sitting in front of the computer is not very comfortable. I am still visiting your blogs, enjoying the daylights out of all of them but I am not posting comments, so I can go to another and another faster. Soon, I have to go lay down for a while, and put my legs up. They insist in swelling, if I sit here for too long.

I've been thinking a lot about our little Leontien, and our dearest Feral Woman. Praying for them both, with all my heart!

Thank you Sharon, Bobbi and Susan for all your awsome emails, for your priceless support and caring!!

I am grateful and appreciate all the words and supporting comments left on my blog throughout these last weeks, by all of you FANTASTIC PEOPLE!!



I DO love you!




15 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

sweetpea! i had no idea you were having surgery! you're such a sneak when it comes to letting on to things. i do hope the lab results come back clean!!! glad to hear it is over and you're back home to heal!!! big hugs to you, my friend!!!

Susan said...

Aww darlin, I'm so glad that part is over. I'm like Theresa, I didn't know you were having surgery, but I'm glad it's over!!! The lab results will be GOOD! and you are going to be ready to play in the playground (ah, when the time is right).

Love and hugs,

Susan

Bonnie K said...

I am thankful that all went well. You are brave and strong. I wish you a speedy recovery. I'm impatient as you know and can't wait to laugh with you, gasp at the amazing photos you take, and listen to your beautiful stories. I will be patient for now your comfort and recovery are important.

cathy@home said...

I have bee MIA for a while I am glad your playground surgery went well, and looking forward to read 3months of posts

Bobbie said...

Hi Miriam. So glad it's over.. and it sounds like you had a much better experience in surgery than I did.. I don't know if you remember my blog afterwards, but it was not pretty. lol.
I'll keep praying for good results.. even though I know they WILL be good! I have been praying every day for you.
You made me laugh! My first words when I came to was "I feel sick!" ick!
Don't you just hate that it takes so long for results? geesh.
Take it easy and do what the doc says.. so glad to hear from you!!

Miriam said...

Good for you - you came through with flying colours! And with all the important bits intact. My fingers are crossed that the lab results come back quickly and cleanly. Big hugs to you!

Sharon said...

Hey Girl! Thanks so much for the emails, has been a big help! When do you get your results? So happy for you that the playground is still in working order ;-)

bon bon said...

oh my gosh! i've been such a stranger since starting school...i'm so glad to have popped in to hear such good news! rest easy and i hope you're back to 100% soon!

Janice Grinyer said...

Miriam - wishing you healthy results and darn good drugs for your recovery!!!!! And a BIIIG PLAYGROUND when you can finally dance!!!

and thank you for putting my mug on your blog - I love you too, Sister!!!

sandy said...

wow, so that is where you were...

so glad things are getting better and you are through the surgery.

love the banner !

Debbie said...

i missed this and i have missed you!!

it is wonderful that you can put some humor into the not so humerous, you are really good at that!!

i hope you are feeling better each day and that you are able to enjoy these wonderful autumn days, your new header picture implies you are. it is beautiful!!

BadPenny said...

I had to have this too but I didn't crack jokes when I came round and I DID have to have a catheter. Jess got very upset when she saw the bag of wee.

Bless you & wishing you well - rest up xx

Joanna said...

You poor thing, what a trauma you've been through:o(

Take care of yourself and allow yourself to recover (no silly grass cutting duties etc!!). Hope you feel better soon.

xx

Joanna said...

Doh! I read this last week but forgot to comment :o( I'm so glad all went well and I hope you have a quick recovery. Take it easy!

xxx

Leontien said...

Hi Sweetie pie! I have been thinking about you too!!!!

I was soooooo wondering what was going on and if you were doing alright?!?

So glad to see that you are doing ok, that you make the nurses smile (you go girl) and that you got your playground!

I wish i could give you a hug....


So HERE IS A HUGE HUG! and thinking to much is alright too... ;-)

Leontien